An epilator is one of the best devices that you can employ to help you deal with your unwanted hair. Though a lot of people are not usually happy with the results offered by this gadget, there is a good chance that you will experience the opposite, as long as you follow the tips provided on this page. I have compiled some of the best epilator tips that can guide you through the best epilation experience.
Tips For Buying Epilators
- The key towards a great epilation experience is having the best epilator for you to use. Hence, make sure to analyze all selections so you can pick the best one for your needs. Your options include corded or cordless and multiple-tweezer type or rotating disk-type.
- Get an epilator with adjustable speed settings. This will offer more convenience and efficiency during epilation. A high speed setting is recommended for thick and non-sensitive areas while sensitive ones and fine hairs need to be epilated at low speed.
- Get an epilator with built-in pain relief for the most comfortable epilation experience. Things you have to look out for are massage rollers, cooling mechanism, and the like.
- Get an epilator with interchangeable heads for your different epilation needs.
- Get an epilator that is easy to clean. Look for a cleaning brush attachment.
- Give extra attention to the brand name. Some of the brands you can trust are Braun, Emjoi, Panasonic, Philips, and Epilady.
Tips for Wet Epilation
- If you are a beginner in epilation, epilate in the shower. It is best for you to relax your skin in warm water for about five minutes first. Warm water can help not only to relax the skin but also to desensitize it for a more comfortable epilation.
- If you are in the bath, fully submerge the target area in water. The hairs will automatically lift up when under water, which will help the epilator to easily grip the hairs for a more efficient epilation.
- If you are in the shower, make sure your skin is really moist during epilation. Applying a little shower gel on the target area will make the epilator glide more smoothly for better epilation results.
- Use a reliable epilator that is designed for wet epilation. Take note that some epilators do not have such capacity.
Tips for Dry Epilation
- Make sure your skin is entirely dry and free of oil.
- Sprinkle the skin with talcum powder before epilation to help the gadget glide more smoothly.
- Stretch your skin with your other hand while you are epilating. This will help the hairs to stand on the end so that the epilator will grab them more cleanly.
General Epilation Tips
- Keep in mind that epilators do not usually work well on long hairs. Hence, it is best for you to consider shaving or trimming the hair to the shortest possible length that the epilator can grab. This will give you more chances of a clean epilation, not to mention a less painful one.
- Take note that epilation can bring you discomfort, especially if you are using it for the first time. Consider taking mild painkillers an hour before epilation.
- Use the gel, cream, or ice pack that comes together with your epilator. They are designed to help make the epilation gentler and more comfortable. Other gels and creams can work to avoid irritation and redness of the skin after epilation.
- Move the epilator in the direction of the hair growth. This lessens your chances of getting red bumps as a result of the epilation.
- Adjust the speed setting of the epilator depending on your epilation needs. If you are looking forward to deal with coarse hair, set the epilator to the highest setting. For fine hairs, on the other hand, consider adjusting it to the lowest possible setting. Making sure you get the right speed setting will make the epilation more efficient and less painful.
After Epilation Tips
- Moisturize the skin after epilating. This will help soothe your skin and will offer a sleek and smooth look and feel to your skin.
- Exfoliate the skin to maintain your skin’s good condition. This will also prevent ingrown hairs.
- Massage your skin with mineral oil after epilation. Since the skin becomes sensitive after epilation, the mineral oil can help the skin avoid getting rashes and encountering irritation.
- Do not forget to clean your epilator after use. This is not just for hygienic reasons but also because hairs stuck in it can clog the device, which will make it less efficient the next time you use it.
Do you have other epilator tips that you want to share with us? Feel free to let us know through the comment box.